Thursday, December 10, 2009

We're Lying to Ourselves

I just realized today that we have been lying. All of us. [Yes, I only JUST realized this...]

When people ask what you like to eat, read, watch, listen to, or do, most of us will say:

Everything.

Stranger: What kind of music do you listen to?
You: I listen to everything. Even country/techno/top40!

Stranger: What's your favorite food?
You: I'll eat anything. I'm really not a picky eater.

These responses are both lies and I'll tell you why. Short of having the superpower to magically turn off your senses individually, you have no choice but to listen to or digest what you consume with your body. So of course technically you would listen to, watch, eat, read anything. But that's not really the question, is it? We answer in theoretical truth but tell de facto lies.

Just go to a restaurant or ask this person to pick some music to play and you'll see what I mean. I guarantee some form of, "I won't eat this," or "Jesus, Anne, how many Tori Amos albums do you have?!"

So I propose a challenge. Next time someone asks you about your taste in food, music, art, film, literature or lover, be really specific and answer with just one genre or type. Make it up, even. Can't think of something good? Just say the last thing you consumed. And don't even explain why you like it.

Example:
Stranger: So what are you into?
Me: Reindeer. Period.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sure. But did you see the spiral in the sky over Norway or what?

ill iterate said...

No! :(
It was out for all of ten minutes, but I am so bummed I missed it.

Christopher D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.