Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Morley!


I am going to name drop.

It's not often you randomly meet a famous person you actually like. I think the default is that you end up liking the celebrity you've just met because they were nice enough not to grimace and whisper "let's get the fuck out of here" to their friends when they catch you staring, mouth agape.

I went on a date with a guy once who told me very proudly that his step-brother rented out a boat to "Pierce Bronson's family" (sic) one summer. "Yeah, Pierce Bronson's the real deal. Real nice guy."

But sometimes you actually see someone you liked before meeting. So it is that I chanced to meet Morley Safer - one of my favorite news correspondents. Look at him! His face is the perfect vehicle for big issues. I bet his mouth is lined with muppet felt. A happy confluence of form and content.

Speaking of form and content, I met the 70-something 60 minute correspondent at the 120 minute reception for this book:



A book I highly recommend. It's like Wodehouse and Stendhal having fun with suicide and an ad firm. Though I'm biased in that I'll love any book that makes this much fun of graphic designers and maintains what I consider now to be the lost art of "knowing when to finish." [I'm talking to you, Heartfelt Novelist. put. down. the. pen. It'll be ok.]

No comments: