Saturday, June 28, 2008

Art Happy

On a note wholly unrelated to aforementioned "Camera Happy," I also chanced meeting a Russell Fergusson, who was in town for his exhibit "Idle Youth," hosted by the only person whose gallery I ever hear name-dropped consistently by everyone in New York City (Barbara Gladstone).

Appropriately, I who know zip about fine art, saw the name Martin Wong featured in the exhibit, and naturally thought of our eponymous Giant Robot doyen (though realizing they were probably not the same person). I go to the gallery still sort of hoping they're the same, and then I see his piece, which is sort of Tom of Finland meets Michel Basquiat, and reads something more or less like:

COME HERE. BEND OVER AND SUCK MY DICK.

And features a yoked out prison guard.
...
Definitely not GR-Martin. Anyway, in another twist of coincience, more Martin Wong (artist) will be featured at an exhibit opening tonight for VisualAIDS (run by my buddy Amy), called "Side x Side." Check it out.

More on Idle Youth

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Martin *is* a pitcher on the GR softball team...

ill iterate said...

Now, it'd make more sense if he were a "catcher."