Monday, June 30, 2008

A word to the wise

I just saw the movie Mongol, which was all of the things everyone said it was: beautiful, epic, bloody, wonderful, just so-so, radically feminist, typical macho, etc.

The one plot element that really took me though, was that Genghis Khan reunites twice with his lover to find she's had children from different men, and not only does he not ask any questions or suffer any patrilineal anxieties, but he immediately proclaims these children as his own. Temudjin adopts the progeny of Börte's exes, without dropping a beat.

It is a mildly stunning scene, and I was moved. True love shmru smruv, but if that ain't it, I don't know what is.

This brings me to my word to the wise:

Do not, under any circumstance, talk at length about someone's ex in front of their current.

About Mongol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait wait.. so DON'T talk about the ex in front of the current one!? okay, okay, got it.

NOTED!

What about calling the current one fat? Is THAT a good idea? Cause I figure since we're doling out relationship advice, I'd throw in that one for you to answer, thanks

Sincerely yours,
Love-lorn

ill iterate said...

Hahahaha
Right? You don't even know, dude. I was subject to public nostalgia the other day and it was lame. Like, hello! Current girlfriend right here!