Thursday, April 9, 2009

È solo un'amico!


So, I'm going to Italy in a couple weeks and decided to get guide books on the Italian language and Milan, specifically (where I'll be for four days). Unfortunately, even the guide books can't make bones about this landlocked city.

Milan? Meh... not so much, Anne. Not so much...

That's fine. Can't be worse than... Red Hook...
And at least I get to learn some Italian.
Which is why I bought the lonely planet Italian phrasebook, and I gotta hand it to them. They've really covered all your basic phrases.

"How much is this?"
"That's too expensive."
"Has my money arrived yet?" (Who says that? Pimps.)

...and then, page 120 (pictured above).

"Are you seeing someone else?"
"He's just a friend."
"I don't think it's working out."
"I never want to see you again."

If you have to look up dialogue for your break-up in a lonely planet guide, I think the Italian boyfriend cheating on you is going to be the least of your problems.

Speaking of which, Ian Frazier at the New Yorker has an identical crisis of incredulity for learning Italian in this week's "Shouts & Murmurs."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you said some of the same things to me, but in English! Maledizione!

WayneAW said...

"I think the Italian boyfriend cheating on you is going to be the least of your problems."

Especially if he's asking if his money has arrived. Hmm... Does the phrasebook include, "gotta keep the pimp hand strong?"